And Now We’ve Torn Up the Settee!


Back of the settee.

So, last weekend when First Mate and I were thinking of what project needed to be finished next, we decided that we would finish the woodwork around the backsides of the settee. We wanted to have narrow, horizontal cushions against the backs, so the wood those would be attached to would have to be a fine wood that would look nice when varnished. We wanted to keep the same look as the rest of the galley/settee area, so we chose Mahogany that we would stain with the same stain that was used on the other areas. Then, all of a sudden, First Mate went a bit crazy and could not be reeled in.

She ended up pulling all the carpet off the back wall of the settee off exposing the bare fiberglass wall. She said that she was tired of the old, dirty carpet that was on the wall and wanted to redo it anyway. Okay, so yet another project started without the first project being completed. So many to do and so little time. And she always seems to get her way!

That done, the next day we went searching for carpet that would match our hallway carpet so that we could install it against the back wall of the settee. Initially, I wanted to install horizontal planks, but this would have taken more time and effort, and we also liked the fact that the more carpet we installed the quieter the boat would be, especially under power.

And now we are at the point where we have glued the carpet down to the side of the settee and started installing the facia for the backs of the settee. As we work through this and put the pieces together to mock up the final version, it is really motivating to see how nice it will look!

More pictures soon!